UPDATE for July 1, 2021
The Province of BC has entered Step 3 of BC’s Restart plan, https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/info/restart#step-three. This has allowed us to adjust many of our Covid-19 protocols as well.
Following is a summary of the updated Canada West Mountain School Covid-19 Protocols:
- All participants from across Canada are welcome to travel to BC and join us on any of our programs
- Masks are not required to be worn on any Canada West Mountain School outdoor programs, though people are still free to continue wearing masks of course.
- Every participant, Instructor, and Guide will continue to be asked to complete a pre-trip screening questionnaire to identify and disclose any existing Covid-19 symptoms and current or prior contact with Covid-19 positive persons. This Screening Questionnaire is part of the required Waiver and Medical Disclosure form that each participant is required to complete before each program
- There is a screening discussion at the start of each program to ensure that everyone is free of Covid-19 symptoms. Anyone exhibiting symptoms (at any time during the program) may be asked to remove themselves from the program.
- Anyone (participants or CWMS staff) who has Covid-19 symptoms, or has been in direct contact with another person who has tested positive for Covid-19 is asked to postpone their participation.
- All programs continue to follow existing Federal and Provincial Health Orders or other health guidance.
- Instructors, Guides, and Staff on all CWMS programs are trained in current industry best practices for protecting the health and safety of everyone on our programs, as well as to continue to limit the spread of Covid-19.
Some modifications we have incorporated into our programs:
- Training activities continue to focus on maintaining physical distancing of 2 meters when appropriate.
- All programs are run with a maximum group size of 10 people with 1 Guide/Instructor; most programs are run with smaller groups.
- Most activities are conducted in a manner to minimize close physical contact. However, standard safety protocols have not been sacrificed or compromised – we ensure that safety levels are maintained at the same time as physical distancing.
- Class lectures and theory sessions continue to be held through our Canada West Mountain School Virtual Classroom where appropriate.
- Online training through our Virtual Classroom will be the first priority for theory instruction. Programs with in-person theory sessions, such as Wilderness First Aid training, are held in classrooms with ample ventilation and physical distancing, wearing of masks, and proper hygiene. Canada West Mountain School follows BC Public Health Guidelines where applicable regarding our indoor classroom instruction.
- Programs with overnight camping are conducted in a manner that avoids requiring participants to share cooking, tenting, or other activities. People may choose to share with others but are not required to do so.
Canada West Mountain School is committed to the safety of our participants, staff, and the public and we continue to adapt to the ever-changing requirements that this pandemic is bringing, and look forward to providing the training for you to safely get out and enjoy all of the hiking trails, mountains, and climbing areas that British Columbia has to offer. At the same time, we want to ensure that we do everything we can to reduce the spread of Covid-19 and keep people healthy! Please contact us directly with any questions or concerns you have, we want to hear from everyone.
Safe safe, stay healthy!