Canada West Mountain School is committed to the safety of our participants, staff and the public. We are confident that we can continue to offer our Summer 2020 programs with the highest degree of safety during the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, with some important modifications. Following is a summary of the Canada West Mountain School Covid-19 Protocols for Summer 2020 programs:
- All programs will follow existing Federal, Provincial, Municipal or regional health guidance.
- Instructors, Guides and Staff on all CWMS programs will be trained in current industry best practices for protecting the health and safety of everyone on our programs, as well as to continue to limit the spread of Covid-19.
- There will be a screening discussion each morning before every program to ensure that everyone is free of Covid-19 symptoms. Anyone exhibiting symptoms (at any time during the program) will be required to remove themselves from the program.
- Appropriate personal hygiene (hand-washing, etc) will be encouraged and facilitated by provision of hand sanitizer on all programs.
- Only activities that can be conducted while maintaining recommended physical distancing of 2 meters will be offered at this point. Some modifications we will be incorporating into our programs:
- All programs will be run with a maximum group size of 6 people with 1 Guide/Instructor. Many programs will be run with smaller groups as well.
- Training sites and locations will be chosen to facilitate ease of keeping participants separated, both at the training sites and while walking to/from.
- Activities will be modified to eliminate the need for any close physical contact (however, standard safety protocols will not be sacrificed or compromised, but new systems will be in place that allow for ensuring safety levels at the same time as physical distancing).
- Every participant, Instructor and Guide will complete a full pre-trip screening questionnaire to identify and disclose any existing or prior Covid-19 symptoms; current or prior contact with Covid-19 positive persons; and, recent travel history outside of their home region.
- Anyone (participants or CWMS staff) who has Covid-19 symptoms, or has been in direct contact with another person who has tested positive for Covid-19 will be asked to postpone their participation. If anyone is refused participation for these reasons a full refund will be offered. Staff will be replaced with equally qualified replacement.
- In the event of any situation or incident that may require breaking physical distance guidelines, all CWMS Guides/Instructors will have a “Covid Kit” including a full set of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) consisting of masks and gloves for every person in the group. This PPE will be available on request by any participant at any time who requests it as well.
- Programs will only proceed provided the region of delivery is welcoming of the activity. As an example, CWMS will only operate our Rock Climbing programs in Squamish once the community of Squamish has indicated that rock climbing is encouraged and accepted socially.
- Programs requiring overnight camping will have protocols in place to ensure that no shared cooking, tenting or other activities that may compromise safe distancing are required. People are welcome to share with others that they have already been sharing social contact with, prior to the program.
- Personal safety equipment that is supplied by CWMS (climbing harnesses, helmets, etc) will be disinfected, sealed and stored for a minimum of 96 hours (4 days) prior to use.
- Ride sharing will not be encouraged, everyone will be responsible for arranging their own individual transport to/from the designated program area.
Please contact us directly with any questions or concerns you have, we want to hear from everyone. We are entering a new era and we are confident we will be able to safely navigate these times while still getting out and enjoying all of the trails, mountains and climbing areas that British Columbia has to offer. At the same time, we want to ensure that we do everything we can to reduce the spread of Covid-19 and keep people healthy.