Gain the confidence and skills required for Ski Mountaineering so that you can head out on your own to tackle some big-mountain ski objectives and traverses! 2-days of skiing and climbing in some of the big-mountain ski terrain in the South Coast Mountains working on steep snow climbing skills, route finding, winter hazard awareness and technical winter climbing systems, avalanche hazard awareness, terrain assessment and more. This course is conducted behind Blackcomb or Whistler mountains.
- $295.00 plus GST
The cost of the course includes all Guiding/Instruction services; use of all technical climbing gear; all organization and pre-trip planning.
The Ski Mountaineering course is held behind Whistler or Blackcomb mountains. The course fee does not include lift access. Students can use their existing ski passes, or an optional Backcountry Lift pass can be purchased for $62.
Cost does not include:
- Personal gear and camping equipment (please see Gear List)
- Avalanche safety gear is required for each person (beacon, probe, shovel)
- Transportation to/from Whistler
- Lift access, as noted;
- Strong intermediate or better skiing ability with previous backcountry experience; previous Avalanche skills course (AST-1 or equivalent); course includes an overnight in the backcountry so participants should be prepared and comfortable with winter camping skills; participants are strongly encouraged to practice basic rope handling skills in advance of the field session (knots, belays, etc). When you register, a Pre-Trip Package will be sent to you detailing how to prepare for your Canada West Mountain School Ski Mountaineering course.
- Gear List - Canada West Mountain School Ski Mountaineering Course Gear List
Please review the Gear List for Ski Mountaineering and contact our office with any questions. Each participant will receive a pre-trip training package in advance of the course to ensure everyone is properly prepared for gear, food and logisitcs.
Save $50 on an Avalanche Transceiver!
When you register for this Ski Mountaineering course, and purchase an optional Barryvox ELEMENT Avalanche transceiver, you will receive a $50 discount off the combined price. Just click to add the optional ELEMENT Beacon when you are selecting your course.
This 2-day course is a skills-intensive program designed to introduce you to a variety of techniques that will give you the confidence and skills to ski some of the big-mountain terrain in the South Coast Mountains. The course is designed to give you the best combination of learning and practice in backcountry terrain.
The course is held in the backcountry behind Blackcomb Mountain, accessing some of the ridgelines and colouirs in the area that allow for the most effective use of time. Diseased Ridge, the Finger Chutes on the West Ridge of Decker, and Cham Chutes in the Spearheads are all areas that are often used for training areas, though specific locations will be decided based on current snow, avalanche and weather conditions.
Training topics will include the following:
- identification of winter hazards specific to ski mountaineering
- risk management for big mountain terrain
- avalanche hazard awareness and management
- cornice management
- route finding and line selection
- steep snow climbing techniques
- rope systems for ski mountaineering
- rappelling and rope techniques for colouir entrances
- techniques for managing your group
- glacier travel and crevasse rescue review
Gain the confidence and skills required for Ski Mountaineering so that you can head out on your own to tackle some big-mountain ski objectives and traverses!
Review these documents, and bring completed Waiver and Medical Forms to your program:
CWMS Medical Disclosure Form - CWMS MEDICAL form
CWMS Waiver & Assumption of Risk - CWMS Waiver
CWMS Gear List - Canada West Mountain School Ski Mountaineering Gear List
CWMS Refund & Transfers policies - Refund Policy