Squamish Rock Intro (1-day) BCMC
Learn to Rock climb outdoors in Squamish, BC! You will spend the time learning and practicing all the skills required to get out and climb in Squamish, one of the top destinations in Canada for rock climbing. If you want to meet some new climbing partners and have fun while learning all the skills to be safe while climbing outdoors, our Squamish Rock Climbing Intro 1-day course is the perfect choice!
- On our Squamish Rock outdoor climbing 1-day course, beginner climbers will appreciate the instruction and extra time to practice their skills on this intro outdoor rock climbing course. With 30+ years of experience teaching rock climbing to beginners you can be assured that this course will give you all that you are looking for - and more!
An intensive full-day is spent on the rock learning and practicing climbing techniques, belay systems, rope management, and anchor principles. We have developed a comprehensive package of materials discussing equipment, safety procedures, knots, and principles of rock climbing that is sent out in advance of the practical session and prepares you for a lifetime of climbing.
The Squamish Rock Intro course is conducted in Squamish, BC, located approximately 1 hour by highway north of Vancouver. Participants will be responsible for getting to and from Squamish each day.
The course meets at the Squamish Adventure Centre, located on the East side of Highway 99 just past the entrance to downtown Squamish. The climbing sites we use are in the Smoke Bluffs Park, all within a short walking distance of the Adventure Centre. You will meet your group at 0800, unless otherwise instructed.Squamish Adventure Centre Map:
Our Squamish Rock Climbing programs are taught by some of the best climbers and Guides in Canada. All are certified by the Association of Canadian Mountain Guides (ACMG) and each one has a passion for teaching that will inspire you in your climbing pursuits.
Visit Guides and Instructors Page for complete details and background on each of our Guide Team.
Our Rock courses start at 0800 with a meeting of the climbing team and your guide. You will spend about 30 minutes going over introductions, planning the day and finishing paperwork, then you will head directly to the climbing site.
The morning is spent learning and practicing all the basic skills needed to safely enjoy climbing outdoors. The afternoon is spent climbing and progressing on to more challenging climbs (if you desire), or just perfecting your techniques and enjoying the climbs. Skills covered include:
- route selection and site safety
- knots and hitches
- overview of top-rope anchor construction
- belaying and communication
- climbing techniques and movement skills (crack climbing, slab, friction, etc)
- guide book interpretation
Throughout the course you will have ample opportunity to practice the skills you are learning. With our low instructor to student ratio you will benefit from direct and instant feedback from your Instructor.
- Please review the Gear List here - Canada West Mountain School Rock Climbing Course Gear List All technical gear can be supplied by Canada West Mountain School if requested in advance (included in the course fee). Requests can be made using this online form - Rock Climbing Course Gear Request form
Questions about Squamish Rock Climbing courses
Complete the required Waiver and Medical disclosure form in advance of the field session. Click on the link and navigate to your specific course and date:
- Canada West Mountain School Waiver and Medical disclosure form
Review the CWMS cancelation and transfer policy:
- Canada West Mountain School Refund/transfer Policy