Garibaldi 7-day wilderness
Join our lead Hiking Guide Dave Sarkany on this amazing multi day wilderness backpacking adventure from Whistler to Squamish, through the alpine and sub-alpine wilderness of Garibaldi Park. Starting at the Cheakamus River near Whistler, BC, you will ascend though ancient coastal old growth forests on the first day, spending the remainder of the 7-day traverse in the alpine and sub alpine wilderness of this majestic 195,000 hectare park before finishing in Squamish, BC.
Cost includes the following:
- All guiding services with ACMG certified Guide
- All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) starting with lunch on day-1
- Porter support for re-supply on Day-4 so each person only carries a maximum of 3 days food
- Return shuttle transport on final day from Brohm Ridge back to Squamish
- All BC Parks Campsite and Wilderness camping fees
- Satellite communication device with daily check-in available for each participant
- All group camping gear as needed (tents, stoves, cooksets, etc)
- All personal backpacking gear and clothing
- Transportation to/from Whistler trailhead (ride sharing may be possible)
- Snacks and all specialized personal food items
- Any costs associated with early departure are the responsibility of the participant
- Tips and gratuities are not included
- Cancellation insurance is recommended to protect your trip investment
Participants are responsible for the following:
- A multi day all-inclusive backpacking adventure from Whistler to Squamish, through the alpine and sub-alpine wilderness of Garibaldi Park. Starting at the Cheakamus River near Whistler, BC, you will ascend though ancient coastal old growth forests on the first day, spending the remainder of the 7-day trek in the alpine and sub alpine wilderness of this majestic 195,000 hectare park before finishing in Squamish, BC.
Throughout the trip you will be in the company of one of the top Guides in Canada, Dave Sarkany. A veteran of countless expeditions through the Coast Mountains, Dave has a wealth of experience with decades of hiking, ski touring climbing and kayaking. This traverse is one of his favorites and he will keep you in awe with his knowledge of the region and his tales of adventures in the mountains.
Unique to our Garibaldi Wilderness Hiking trip is our porter support to help keep pack weights manageable. You will start the 7 day traverse with only 3 days of food; on the 4th day of the traverse, our support staff will meet you with the food and supplies for the remaining 3 days! As an added bonus, on this "Resupply Day" we will also provide fresh food for a special dinner while camped at Garibaldi Lake!
Speaking of food, all meals are supplied on the trip including breakfasts, lunches and dinners.
On the final day of the traverse, we will provide a shuttle to meet you as you are descending from the alpine zone and drive you back to Squamish or Whistler, ready to plan for your next adventure!
- Day-1: You will start the trip with a morning meeting in Whistler with the team and your Guide, Dave Sarkany. After a review of the trip, gear check and conditions update, you will head out to the trailhead near the Cheakamus River. The adventure starts with a hike along the river in amazing ancient rain forests of towering old growth fir and cedar trees, before crossing the Cheakamus River and ascending to Helm Creek Meadows. This sub-alpine zone underneath the impressive Black Tusk will be the site of your first camp.
- Day-2: After a great breakfast, your team start the day on easy ground before venturing off the main trail and into the true backcountry wilderness of this amazing region, striking out towards the glaciers and alpine zone of Castle Towers. You will camp this night above treeline on the ridgecrest, soaking in the breathtaking views of glaciers, lakes and mountains.
- Day-3: Everyone gets a break from carrying big packs today! A daytrip to Castle Towers and Polemonium Ridge will have you skirting the edge of glaciers, scrambling to the tops of peaks and exploring areas that only a few people ever manage to visit. Your evening is spent back at the same camp, so you can extend your day to make the most of the experience.
- Day-4: Up early and heading out towards the jewel of the park, Garibaldi Lake. After hiking through meadows and over ridges, you will establish your 3rd camp of the trip on the shores of this truly majestic lake. The turquoise blue waters are enticing from every viewpoint, and the chance for a quick dip in the lake is welcomed at the end of your day. Also, this is our re-supply camp so you get to enjoy some fresh food and treats for the dinner!
- Day-5: Continuing south on the traverse, you will strike out past Mount Price and Clinker Peaks, source of the massive lava flows that define the fascinating geography of this area, before dropping down to camp at the toe of the Warren Glacier on the north side of Mount Garibaldi.
- Day-6: Ascending up the side of the Warren Glacier, keeping a lookout for resident goats along the way, will bring you to the top of Brohm Ridge where it joins the impressively steep and chaotic north face of Garibaldi. After a welcome break enjoying the new views down to Howe Sound and Squamish 2,000 meters below, you will start the descent along the ridge enjoying the 360 degree views the whole way. the last camp of the trip is on the western edge of Brohm Ridge, among idyllic sub-alpine heather meadows.
- Day-7: One final morning enjoying the mountain views, fresh air and quiet surroundings, and then you will start the final hike down below treeline to meet the shuttle back to civilization.
- The equipment required for the Garibaldi Wilderness hiking trip is listed here:
Backpacking Gear list