Garibaldi Neve Traverse, BC
We have been leading tours on this spectacular 3-day ski traverse across the glaciers of Garibaldi Provincial Park since the 1980s and still consider it to be one of the finest tours around! Skiing across these remote glaciers around Mount Garibaldi and over to Garibaldi Lake is the best way to appreciate the rugged beauty of the southern Coast Mountains and is an amazing ski tour into the wilderness backcountry of South Western BC!
- Garibaldi Neve Traverse 2021 Dates:
March 18-20, 2022
April 15-17, 2022
- The Garibaldi Neve Traverse is conducted in the backcountry regions of Garibaldi Park. Participants must be very comfortable skiing in any snow conditions on Black runs in a ski area. At least strong Intermediate skiing/riding skills and above are recommended. While you will not be skiing steep or technical terrain on this trip, conditions will be un-groomed and variable. If you are unsure of your ability, or if this trip is suited for you, please contact our office directly to discuss the requirements.
Previous overnight summer or winter backpack camping is required, the Garibaldi Traverse includes 2 nights of tent camping. You will be skiing with an overnight backpack on as well, so previous skiing experience with a pack is helpful.
This trip is not recommended for snowboarders on snowshoes, or on split-boards. Skiers must have Alpine Touring (AT) or Telemark (Tele) skis, bindings, and climbing skins.
- The following is a brief outline of the Canada West Mountain School 3 day Garibaldi Neve ski traverse. Many different variables (such as weather, snow and route conditions, group experience levels, etc) may influence the final details and logistics, so the following should be considered a general outline only.
The Garibaldi Neve Traverse starts at the trailhead to the Elfin Lakes/Paul Ridge area (Diamond Head). This is located 30 minutes up a gravel road from Squamish. From there, the traverse heads in a northerly direction and exits at the Rubble Creek trailhead near Daisy Lake, just south of Whistler. A vehicle shuttle is required in order to get between the trailheads, or we will arrange a drop-off/pick-up. These details are arranged in advance based on the number of people on each trip, but each person is responsible for their own transportation.
Meet in Squamish at 7:00 am at a pre-determined location. After a review of current avalanche, weather and snowpack conditions you will perform a thorough gear check with your Guide. After this, you will head up the road to the trailhead for Elfin Lakes (Diamond Head) and into Garibaldi Park. Your first day will get you all the way to Elfin Lakes, approximately 12 kilometers. Plan on arriving at your camp by 3 pm, with time to get some optional skiing on the nearby slopes in the afternoon.
You will be up early and out before 8 am to head out onto the glaciers of the Neve, heading towards the alpine passes and across to the high camp. Your day will begin with a descent into Ring Creek and underneath the Gargoyles. From there, you will slowly gain the high point of the traverse, underneath the north face of Mt Garibaldi, before a great ski run down to your 2nd camp at the Glacier Pikes, near the aptly named "Sharkfin". We typically plan on getting to the high camp by 3 pm, which allows for an optional evening ski run above (or below) camp.
From your camp at the Glacier Pikes, you will start off with a short traverse to get to the top of the Sentinel Glacier. The descent down the north-facing Sentinel Glacier is the highlight of the whole traverse, and a run to be remembered! If conditions and timing allow, we often will drop our big packs at the bottom and skin back up for a 2nd lap. After this, we cross Garibaldi Lake and begin the exciting descent down the trail to Rubble Creek and the end of the traverse.
Questions about the Garibaldi Neve Traverse
Review the following documents, and bring signed copies of the Covid-19 Screening form, Waiver form, and Medical Form to your program. All of these can also be sent by E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Canada West Mountain School COVID-19 screening form - CWMS COVID-19 Questionnaire
- Canada West Mountain School Waiver and Medical disclosure form - Waiver & Med form
- Canada West Mountain School Refund Policy - Refund Policy
- Equipment List - Canada West Mountain School Ski Mountaineering Gear List