Sport Lead Rock Climbing
Our Sport Lead Climbing course is a low-ratio, 1-day program designed to get you out leading on single-pitch Sport climbs. You will spend an intensive day with our expert ACMG Rock Guides and Instructors working on all the skills and techniques specific to leading Sport routes. Equipment selection, belay techniques, lead climbing principles, movement coaching and more are all covered in a fun and practical day of climbing!
- Sport lead climbing is a natural progression for many climbers who started climbing indoors. This is the perfect transition course if you are coming from an indoor climbing background, or for people with solid top rope climbing skills outdoors.
The Sport Lead climbing course is conducted in Squamish, BC, located approximately 1 hour by highway north of Vancouver. Participants will be responsible for getting to and from Squamish each day.
The course meets at the Squamish Adventure Centre, located on the East side of Highway 99 just past the entrance to downtown Squamish. The climbing sites we use are in the Smoke Bluffs Park, all within a short walking distance of the Adventure Centre. You will meet your group at 0800, unless otherwise instructed.Squamish Adventure Centre Map:
Our Squamish Sport Lead Climbing programs are taught by some of the best climbers and Guides in Canada. All are certified by the Association of Canadian Mountain Guides (ACMG) and each one has a passion for teaching that will inspire you in your climbing pursuits.
Visit Guides and Instructors Page for complete details and background on each of our Guide Team.
Our Sport Lead Climbing courses start at 0800 with a meeting of the climbing team and your guide. You will spend about 30 minutes going over course objectives, introductions, planning the day and finishing paperwork, then you will head directly to the climbing site.
The full day is spent learning and practicing skills specific to Leading Sport Routes
- route selection and site safety
- belaying a lead climber considerations
- how to fall and understanding fall forces - proper clipping techniques and tips
- anchor threading and lowering
- guide book interpretation
Throughout the course you will have ample opportunity to practice the skills you are learning. With our low instructor to student ratio you will benefit from the direct and instant feedback from your Instructor.
- For the Sport Lead climbing course you will require standard personal climbing equipment. As a minimum, please plan on bringing your own harness, climbing shoes, helmet, belay device and a locking carabiner. If you have any other of your own climbing equipment, please also bring this along as well, we encourage people to learn and practice with their own gear.
Canada West Mountain School will supply all other ropes, anchor systems, lead climbing equipment and safety gear.
For clothing and other supplies, please come prepared for any conditions, including rain and wind. This is an outdoor course and all skills can be safely taught in most conditions, including rain showers. In the event that the weather forecast is deemed too severe to run the course (electrical storms, heavy rain warnings, etc) our Guides will notify the participants in advance. Due to the ever-changing nature of weather, this decision may not be made until 24 hours before the course start. If you do not hear from Canada West Mountain School staff or Guides before your course, please plan on arriving at the scheduled meeting location and time.
Here is a basic gear list for your reference and planning - Canada West Mountain School Rock Climbing Course Gear List
Questions about Squamish Sport Lead Climbing course