Scrambling Essentials 2021
Get prepared to leave the trails behind and stand on the summits of many of the fine Scrambling objectives around British Columbia! Scrambling to the tops of our mountains often turns out to be more challenging than expected. This is where our expert ACMG Guides will work with you to develop key techniques and refine already existing skills so that you will have the confidence to safely get to the top of many mountains. This is a perfect course for club trip leaders.
- June 26-27
- July 17-18
- August 14-15
- The Canada West Mountain School Scrambling Essentials course is a 2-day overnight course held in a local alpine region. Key skills on the Scrambling Essentials course include:
- 4th class rock movement skills
- alpine hazards recognition and assesment
- route finding to avoid hazards
- basic snow travel skills including ice ax self-arrests
- techniques for fast and efficient movement in alpine terrain
Our Scrambling course is run with a low Guide to Instructor ratio of 1:4, ensuring the best learning environment and ability to get out and practice skills.
- The gear required for the Scrambling Essentials course is very similar to any backpacking trip, with the addition of a couple of mountaineering-style pieces of gear (helmets, harness, ice-ax, etc.) Please prepare your gear with the goal of reducing the weight of your pack as much as possible as the access to most scrambles includes approaches of 3-4 km and 600+ meters of elevation gain.
Please review the Gear List here - Canada West Mountain School Scrambling Course Gear List
All technical gear can be supplied by Canada West Mountain School if requested in advance (included in the course fee). Requests can be made using this online form - Scrambling Course Gear Request form
Complete the required Waiver and Medical disclosure form in advance of the field session. Click on the link and navigate to your specific course and date:
- Canada West Mountain School Waiver and Medical disclosure form
Review the CWMS cancelation and transfer policy:
- Canada West Mountain School Refund/transfer Policy